1. Robyn, “Body Talk”: That pop tart we all listened to in the 90s, then forgot about, who came back, and was so amazing.
2. Broken Bells, “Broken Bells”: First heard the album in a Chinatown apartment. Sounds just as good in Charleston. Haven’t stopped listening.
3. Nikki Minaj, “Pink Friday”: I’m a sucker for strong female characters. Nikki Minaj is the very definition. While I’m more a fan of her collaborations with other artists (yeh, even “My Chick Bad”), her own album is not too shabby.
4. B.o.B., B.o.B. Presents the Adventures of Bobby Ray : Don’t hate. Sometimes you just want a bouncy, poppy, hip-hoppy bucket of fun.
5. The Arcade Fire, “Suburbs”: After three years, I wasn’t disappointed.
Honorable Mentions: MGMT “Congratulations”, CocoRosie “Grey Oceans”, Crystal Castles “Crystal Castles”…I guess Kanye should be on here, too.
Best Song: “Vaporize” by Broken Bells (when feeling generally sour), “Massive Attack” by Nikki Minaj (when in the mood to dance)
Worst Song: “Hey, Soul Sister” by Train.